- Gold pipe cleaners, 6 per student (or use brown for a more “natural” look)
- 1/2 pipe cleaner in a contrasting color (for bird)
- Small plastic container (recycled applesauce containers work great)
- Florist foam
- Grass seed
1. Cut florist foam about the size of your containers. Press foam into containers. (Florist foam is easy to cut with a serrated knife.) Make sure you have a nice, snug fit so they won’t fall out! Fill with water to just below the surface of the foam.
2. To form your tree, start with six pipe cleaners. Twist two pipe cleaners together about 2/3 of the way to the end, to form a branch. Open the ends to form a large “Y”. Then repeat two more times with your other pipe cleaners to make a total of three branches.
4. Then, use 1/2 of a pipe cleaner in a contrasting color to form a simple bird. Just fold in half, then fold both ends into the middle and twist it onto one of your branches. Bend each wing down to form an “M” shape.