9x12 white heavyweight construction paper
Tempera paint — red, yellow, turquoise, white and black
Paper plates for palettes
brushes and water
Tint — any color plus white
Shade — any color plus black
1. First, use your pencil to draw a line across your paper about an inch or two from the bottom.
2. Next, draw rectangles of different sizes all along your line, from one edge of your paper to the other. Add triangles on top of some of your roofs for a more interesting skyline!
3. Then, use the primary colors (red, yellow and blue) to mix secondary colors (orange, green and purple).
4. Now, add a small amount of each of your secondary colors to a larger amount of white to make “tints” of those colors.
5. Paint each of your buildings with a different tint. Then paint the sky with a tint of blue.
6. Next, add a tiny bit of black to one of your primary or secondary colors to make a “shade”. Use this to paint some windows and doors on your buildings using simple brush strokes. Make sure you put windows on all your buildings or they will be very dark inside! ;)
7. Finally, add some white to the shade you mixed to make a gray, and paint a street across the bottom of your paper.