1. Start with two 9″ squares of construction paper in contrasting colors. (Here I’m using black and red.) Choose one color to be the background and set it aside.
2. Fold the other square in half vertically and then in half again horizontally.
3. Draw one large shape on each side of your folded square. Each shape should be different and none of them should touch or overlap. (Have an adult check before you cut!)
4. Cut out the shapes you drew and save all the pieces!
5. Now, open up your paper and lay it flat. Label the sections 1, 2, 3 and 4, from left to right, top to bottom.
6. Then, cut your four sections apart. Glue #1 and #4 in place (across from each other diagonally) on the contrasting paper. These sections are now finished!
7. Next, lay sections #2 and #3 in place, but do not glue them down! Place the cut-out shapes where they go — no glue yet!
8. Carefully, lift off the main pieces and then glue the smaller shapes in place on section #2 and #3. You’re done!