Are you looking for an easy project that will give your youngest students more practice with scissors? This very basic Japanese Notan lesson is perfect for working on cutting and gluing skills, and kids will love the striking designs they create! Notan is a type of Japanese art that uses the contrast of light and dark to make an eye-catching composition. (Pronounce it just like it looks: ‘no-tan’.)
You will need:
- 1 piece of 9” x 9” black paper
- 2 pieces of 4-1/2” x 4-1/2” white paper
- glue stick
3 Helpful Scissor Tips!
- Keep your scissors pointing away from you.
- Keep your elbow tucked in against your side.
- Turn the paper with your hand that’s holding it, instead of turning your scissors.
Here are a few 1st Grade originals…