1. Use a ruler to draw parallel lines in holiday colors along the edges of your paper. Make some lines thick and others thin. Leave some white paper showing between your lines. (We used 9×12 construction paper here, but you can use any size paper you want, to make a smaller or larger candy cane. Regular copy paper works well, too!)
2. Next, think about who you would like to give this candy cane to (your mom, dad, sibling, grandparent, friend, teacher, etc.), and write a note to them in the middle of your paper. Offer to do something for them, help them with a task, or just tell them how special they are! (If you offer to do something, make sure you’re willing to follow through!!)
3. Now, turn your paper over (so that the lines you drew are on the back) and roll it up around your pencil, diagonally from corner to corner. Keep the paper snug as you roll it. Then, when you can no longer see your pencil, loosen your grip a tiny bit and let your pencil slide out through one of the ends.
6. When you get to the end, have a small piece of clear tape ready to secure the corner.
7. Finally, bend one of the ends to make a hook shape. Add a gift tag so you will remember who to give it to and they will know who it’s from…. This is especially important if you make more than one! Try making a variety of sizes and hang them on your tree!
Time Saving Tip! You can also draw the lines on just 2 adjacent edges instead of all 4. Only 2 edges will show on the finished candy cane. But I usually encourage kids to do all 4 edges as it creates a nice frame around whatever the child writes in the middle!