Diameter — a straight line passing from side to side across the center of a circle
Circumference — the distance around a circle
- 9 x 9 white construction paper
- Compass and pencil
- Markers or colored pencils
1. Use a ruler to find the center of your paper. Lay the ruler corner to corner, across your paper, and make a light mark in the middle. Repeat with the other two corners so that you have a very light “x” in the center of your paper.
2. Set your compass to about 5cm.
3. Place the point on the center of your paper and draw a circle.
4. Carefully lift your compass and erase the “x”.
5. Without moving the arms of your compass, place the point anywhere on the circumference and draw another circle.
6. Now place the point on one of the places where your circles intersect and draw another circle.
7. Keep drawing circles until you have completed your pattern.
8. Color your design by outlining each separate shape with a marker or colored pencil and fill in, coloring all one direction.